About Our School
Beacon Academy of Nevada is a virtual statewide public charter school. Any resident of Nevada of school age may enroll at no cost. As an online program, Beacon Academy provides parents the options for computers to students who need them. Internet access is the responsibility of the student.
School the way it should be:
• Choose to work at your own pace - based on your schedule!
• Talk to teachers whenever you need help - they listen and respond
• Study subjects that interest you with our latest online learning technologies
• Use innovative computer programs not available at any other public, private or charter school (cloud computing)
Learning in an online environment is a skill that is required of almost all occupations. Those students who master this now, are the employees of tomorrow.
Why we are different
Beacon Academy recognizes that each and every student is unique. We all learn about our world primarily by what we see, hear, and read. Our goal is to provide students with course materials and activities that build on all three learning modes. Our teachers do not lecture - they engage students
• Student Support Services - we recognize that students (and families) occasionally have difficult times where professional support can make a difference
• Video clips - components designed to visually illustrate concepts (short movies that stream over the Internet)
• Speech to text (the ability to choose to have the text on the screen read aloud)
• Writing for the web - this is a good example (different than books but much more readable)
• Live classrooms - web conferencing is how most of the world works at a distance
• Frequent events - both virtually and in person