Despite online learning education being a great option for many, there are some down sides to be aware of. These challenges can affect your chances of success, so it’s important to be aware of them before getting started with online education. These factors include:
- Online courses at Beacon Academy of Nevada require the use of both the internet and a computer, so those that embark on such must have access to these, and knowledge of appropriate skills and technologies, in order to complete the program. If you are not computer-literate or don’t have ready access to appropriate technology, then online education may not be the best route to take (although many of today’s face to face courses require the use of these tools as well, just not as extensively). Beacon Academy does offer the use of loaner computers to those in need for educational purposes only and must be returned back to school at the end of each school year or upon dis-enrollment from Beacon Academy of Nevada.
- If you require an extra push to complete work, you may struggle with online classes as there is no one there to tell you when to do the work. You have to be very self-motivated and able to manage your time wisely in order to succeed.
- Not being able to complete one-to-one sessions with a teacher. Since everything is conducted online there are usually few if any chances available to talk with a teacher face to face (unless there are opportunities provided for communication via tools like Skype or chat or discussion groups). Beacon Academy does offer scheduled tutoring both in the Las Vegas and Reno areas to students who need a little extra assistance to complete their assignments.
- Even though online courses are growing in both status and popularity there are still certain perceptions and reputations attached to this particular method of learning. Fortunately, they have become increasingly accepted and are gradually becoming main-stream.
- Those that are very social may not prefer this particular learning method, as distance learning offers little if any social interaction. You will probably only interact with classmates via email, chat rooms, or discussion groups.
- In most cases there is little support available to students - those partaking in online courses are often expected to find their own resources in regards to completing assignments and other online work.
- There is no campus atmosphere, which many consider a major part of the school experience. Despite distance-education being extremely flexible, it is a rather “solo” experience.
If you feel you are prepared to take on these challenges, or that some of them are not an issue for you, well then what are you waiting for … enroll at Beacon Academy of Nevada today!
Beacon Academy of Nevada
Nevada’s Online High School
Beacon Academy of Nevada is a statewide, online, public charter high school, accredited by the Northwest Acceditation Commission (NWAC), and offers online high school classes to students in Clark, Nye, Lincoln, Esmeralda, Mineral, and other Nevada counties. Graduates earn an accredited Nevada high school diploma.
What does Beacon Academy offer? – Click HERE
Why enroll at Beacon Academy? – Click HERE
Have questions about online high school? – Click HERE
Want to know about summer school options? – Click HERE
Want to take summer school? – Click HERE
Want to attend high school in the fall? – Click HERE